Intel Extreme Masters returns to San Jose in less than a week’s time, and will once again see a League of Legends tournament featuring six fan-chosen teams. Also returning is Team SoloMid, who participated in the event last year. Their performance was not as expected, however, as they lost 0-2 to the then upcoming Unicorns of Love. This year, we will see a brand new TSM, with only Bjergsen remaining from the roster we saw at Worlds.
The end of the Worlds
Team SoloMid has been a top North American League of Legends team for years, clinching top slots in the NA LCS and qualifying for Worlds. Their last months have not been particularly stellar, however: TSM finished second in the NA LCS, with their long-time rivals Counter Logic Gaming taking first place - not too shabby considering the team’s eyes were on Worlds.
The TSM Worlds adventure started and ended at the group stage. They started out with two losses: to KT Rolster and Origen, followed by a hopeful win against LGD. Unfortunately, that win would be the only one TSM would earn at Worlds, with them losing their last games to their group opponents and finishing their tournament ride with a 1-5 score.
New roster, new start?
TSM will take part in Intel Extreme Masters with a brand new roster assembled especially for the event, meaning that more changes are likely to occur before the new LCS season begins. For now, though, let’s look at who we’ll be seeing at San Jose!
Top: Kevin “Hauntzer” Yarnell
- Previously top laner for Gravity Gaming
- 2015 NA LCS Summer Split statistics: Games: 19 | Wins: 12 | Losses: 7 | Win Percentage: 63.2% | Kills: 73 | Deaths: 50 | Assists: 124 | KDA: 3.94
Jungle: Dennis “Svenskeren” Johnsen
- Previously jungler for SK Gaming
- 2015 EU LCS Summer Split statistics: Games: 18 | Wins: 6 | Losses: 12 | Win Percentage: 33.3% | Kills: 44 | Deaths: 77 | Assists: 134 | KDA: 2.50
Mid: Søren “Bjergsen” Bjerg
- Only player remaining from old roster
- 2015 Worlds statistics: Games: 6 | Wins: 1 | Losses: 5 | Win Percentage: 16.7 | Kills: 22 | Deaths: 16 | Assists: 34 | KDA: 3.50
ADC: Yiliang “Doublelift” Peng
- Previously ADC for Counter Logic Gaming
- 2015 Worlds statistics: Games: 6 | Wins: 2 | Losses: 4 | Win Percentage: 33.3 | Kills: 23 | Deaths: 19 | Assists: 28 | KDA: 2.68
Support: Raymond “kaSing” Tsang
- Previously support for H2k Gaming
- 2015 Worlds statistics: Games: 6 | Wins: 2 | Losses: 4 | Win Percentage: 33.3 | Kills: 8 | Deaths: 18 | Assists: 46 | KDA: 3.00
With four of the five players being completely new to the team, it’s difficult to predict just how they will perform, and there’s a lot of work to do in terms of chemistry and figuring out a playstyle. It will be a definite treat to watch this almost completely revamped TSM in action!
See the new TSM in San Jose!
Intel Extreme Masters San Jose will be first opportunity to see the new TSM lineup perform live - don’t miss this one of a kind chance and grab a ticket to the event here! Remember that you can also contribute to the event’s prize pool by taking part in Amazon’s great crowdfunding initiative by picking up selected hardware and games.