The WCS Europe Challenger qualifiers began last week, and since then two more qualifier cups have been played out. These qualifiers were restricted to players from the European, Middle Eastern and African regions. Here are the results:
- Mihaylo "Kas" Hayda (Terran)
- Viktor "Miniraser" Malmberg (Zerg)
- Tobias ShoWTimE" Sieber (Protoss)
- Joona "Serral" Sotala (Zerg)
- Lee Sacsri" Yeh Hoon (Zerg)
- David "Lilbow" Moschetto (Protoss)
- Stefan "MorroW" Andersson (Terran)
- Gabriel "HeRoMaRinE" Segat (Terran)
- Kristoffer "TargA" Marthinsen (Zerg)
- Rickard "SortOf" Bergman (Zerg)
- Daniel "StarNaN" Ohlsson (Protoss)
- Steffen 'Lillekanin' Hovmand (Terran)
Each of these players have secured a minimum prize of US$600 and 50 WCS points, but more importantly the chance to compete for the 16 remaining spots in Premier League. Some of these players are regulars in WCS while others will be making their debut performance.
The fourth and final qualifier will take place today (15th of July 2014), and will not be restricted to those from EMEA regions. Due to recent events, two new spots have opened up in the Challenger matches, and thus six players - instead of four - will advance from the Ladder Wildcard Qualifier. Check out the bracket with some big names playing today.
One spot opened up as a result of Jon "BabyKnight" Andersen’s retirement in May this year. In a post on TeamLiquid.net, he spoke about his declining passion for the game, and his inability to play it for vast amounts of time. The other spot opened up as Kristijonas "Krr" Barisas has been suspended from all remaining WCS competitions in 2014 due to being found guilty of colluding and match fixing in the SC2Improve Team League.
Pigbaby’s recent win in WCS America has shown just how important these qualifiers can be. Often those who have started their journey in the Challenger qualifiers are overlooked. We have seen how unwise this is, as a determined Pigbaby rose his way through the ranks from the Ladder Wildcard Qualifier.